West King Street

The Black Horse Tavern along King Street in Shippensburg was formerly known as Rippey's Tavern, built in the 1700s by Samuel Rippey, who operated the tavern until after 1750. His son, Capt. Rippey operated the tavern before 1771 until 1819. The tavern was made famous on Oct. 12, 1794, when George Washington and his company of officers stopped there for lunch while traveling from Carlisle to Chambersburg. Washington was going to western Pennsylvania to put down a rebellion by farmers who objected to paying the newly enacted tax on whiskey they distilled from their grain, known as the Whiskey Rebellion. As a result of this visit by Gen. Washington, the tavern at one time was called the “General Washington.”

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.